Tuesday 16 October 2012

Time waits for no man



The grass under the tree is mostly moss. Roots break through to trip the unwary. Sky blues the thickening thatch of fresh spring leaves and lets the sun’s gentle rays warm me.
This willow and I, are we of an age? My waistline thickens faster than its trunk.
A bird searches the greening branches for a moment and then flies on. My nestlings will leave me in due course. I don’t want to contemplate that.
My complexion has fared better than the bark, rough and crisp against my back.
The sun is stronger now, easing limbs and promising a summer of slumber. I settle deeper into the willow’s womb. It pulls a share of the moisture from the ground, roots that go deeper than mine. Leaves bud, grow and thrive on light while I must consume, like a raptor, to survive. The imperceptible synthesis, my audible breathing.
A breeze aloft is more movement than sound. The pulse beats in my ears. It skips, then resumes.
This isn’t the time. There’s much to be done, some of it not yet known. When all is done and the birds are flown I will return and let willow take me to her bosom.

And the caretaker said "I'll have to ask you to move off the lawn." 




If you've enjoyed reading Ruby's blog then please sign up to Ruby's News for freebies, advance review copies of upcoming novels and occasional updates. Thanks!
 

1 comment:

  1. So, on a moonless night... you'll come creeping back to the willow. Once the caretaker has gone to bed, that is...

    ReplyDelete